Ridgmont station sits at the mid-point of the Marston Vale Line that runs from Bedford to Bletchley. This line once formed the middle section of a longer rail link – The Varsity Line – between Oxford and Cambridge and many of the stations along the Bedfordshire section served the once-thriving brick industry.
The line itself was the ﬁrst one to be built in the county and the station building was opened on 17th November 1846. Whilst the line is still very much used by local people and an increasing number of visitors to the area, the station building itself has been redundant since the late 1970s. It is the last station building on the line not to have been sold oﬀ either for private or commercial use.