Marston Jubilee Walk
This information has been provided courtesy of Let's Go. Simply log onto their website for more information.
This description should be read in conjunction with the route map. A link to this map is given below.
Route Map (PDF, 176kb)
This circular walk starts from Marston Moretaine village and takes you through the Marston Vale to Hunger Hill, returning via the ancient woodland of Marston Thrift. If you are very lucky you might even see the rare black hairstreak butterfly!
Village Hall, Marston Moretaine. The nearest station is Millbrook. Walk down the road to the right. The village hall is at the end of the road on the left.
You can buy tickets to Millbrook station on our website.
Access and General Information
Distance: 5.5 miles
1. Leave Marston Village Hall car park and cross over the Bedford Road with care. Take the path to the left of the electricity sub-station and walk straight ahead to the children's play area. Turn right through the gate and along the tarmac path. At the end of the path turn left through the A421 underpass. At the top of the exit ramp turn left and walk along Lower Shelton Road.
2. Just where the road bends to the right turn left into the footpath between houses No. 119 and No. 121. Cross over the wooden bridge and turn right passing behind the houses. Follow the waymarkers to the right then left still passing behind the houses, then straight ahead across the field and through a gap in the hedge. Walk to the base of the power pylon and turn left over the wooden bridge and straight ahead across the field to the waymarker by a stand of trees.
3. Keeping the trees on your left, walk along the side of the field, then through two more fields each separated by wooden bridges until you reach the start of a farm track. Pass through the field entrance on your right and walk diagonally up the field to the yellow waymarker opposite the houses at the top of the hill.
4. Cross the road with care and walk up the tree lined bridleway opposite. Follow the bridleway round to the left until it opens out into a corner of a field. Turn right and walk along the edge of the field to the top of Hunger Hill. Pause here to admire the panoramic view across the Marston Vale with the giant airship hangers and the Greensand Ridge beyond.
5. Continue along the crest of the hill to the ancient woodland of Marston Thrift. Turn left and walk down the side of the field keeping the Thrift on your right. At the end of the Thrift turn right through the gap in the hedge then immediately left following the hedge until it ends at a waymarker. Walk diagonally down and slightly to your right across the large field to a wooden bridge. Cross the bridge and go straight ahead through a new tree plantation to a gap in the hedge. Walk through and cross the next field to join a farm track at Wood End Farm.
6. Turn left along the farm track and in about 50 metres reach a waymarked gap in the hedge on your right. Pass through into the field and walk diagonally left across the field. When you reach the hedge go through the gap and over the bridge into a large field. Walk around the edge of the field keeping the hedge on your left until you reach a kissing gate.
7. Pass through the gate and turn right. Keeping the hedge on your right walk along two sides of the field until you reach another kissing gate. Pass through and follow the path over the bridge and through the new housing development. Leaving the entrance to Moreteyne Manor on your right go straight ahead over the open grass area to the Woburn Road. Cross with care and turn left. Walk along Woburn Road and take the first turn on the right called The Green.
8. Walk down The Green and through the iron gates into the churchyard. Take the tarmac path that passes to the right of the church and follow it over the bridge and along the side of the field. Pass between the houses and when you reach the road turn right. In 20 metres cross over the road with care and enter the country park via the wooden kissing gate. Walk to the wooden finger post and take the cinder path to the left marked Forest Centre. When you reach the park entry road, pass through the wooden kissing gate and cross the road with care then go through the second kissing gate. Continue on the cinder path as it swings to the right and on towards the Forest Centre.
9. Just past the Forest Centre at the path junction turn left and follow the sign to Marston Moreteyne (Bedford Road). Upon reaching a fork in the path turn left and then through the gate out of the park into a service road. Turn right and walk over the bridge. Take the footpath just to the left of the houses facing you. At the end of the path turn right along the main road to the Village Hall, your starting point.
Below is the weather forecast for Marston Moretaine.